Friday, March 11, 2011

GLIK Day 3: The Busiest Day


Day Three in Kentucky was the busiest to date. It found us playing bridge, going to lectures, drinking with hotel staff, spilling hot coffee, watching fish, schmoozing directors, chatting with the local meteorologist, meeting international bridge experts, and more. First, and most importantly, our game is steadily improving. This morning our score was in the 40s and our afternoon game was just over 50%. Although we didn't place, as you can see in the picture we have plenty of trophies.

The day was too eventful to report in full, but it is always interesting to think about using new bids. Recently Julie has convinced me to add Jacoby 3 NT to our repertoire. Our Director told her about this bid: It means that the responder has opening count and 3 card trump support for the opener. Julie convincingly explained the benefits of this bid, and I agreed to start using it. This afternoon I had the chance. Julie opened 1 spade; I had 3 spades and 14 points, so I bid 3 NT. Julie considered the bid for just a moment before she passed, as did our opponents. I watched her face as I waited for the realization of what she had done hit her--it was something to behold. As she casually put her bidding cards back in the box, she suddenly froze. Her eyes widened and she slowly turned her head to look at me. A questioning look was quickly followed by realization, shock, and resignation. I just sat there silently and waited for the dummy to come down. I ended up making 5 NT and got a top board.

I tell this story because I think it is indicative of what is happening to us at this tournament. Our opponents in the 49er games are making a lot of missteps that often pan out for them. I really think that we might do better in a bigger game, so we are going to try that tomorrow.

In closing, here's a video of our very cool hotel bar.



3 comments:

  1. Tomorrow we have been invited to go clubbing with Katie and Mr. Kentucky (although after googling him, we didn't find him in the ranks of the basketball elite). Nevertheless, we agreed to party with these 29=year olds. Katie is going to teach us the sea wall; we said that we didn't think we could learn the perculator. Now some of you are wondering about the connection between our performance at the bridge table and our extra-curricular activities. Rest assured, bridge comes first, followed closely behind, clubbing and new dance moves. Reported by Julianne Boggiano.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So where's the report on the partying?

    The bar looks very cool with the fish. Bet they were happy they were there and not at some church fish fry on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How was the first fish fry of the Lenten season? Guess I need to check your blog!

    ReplyDelete