Tuesday, July 17, 2012

THE NATURE OF A SUCCESSFUL PARTNERSHIP

I have been commissioned to blog again tonight. So what that means is "I will write, without pay and benefit of any material reward and be happy that I have been afforded the opportunity to appear in print." Thank you, Margaret.

One of the things I have been thinking about is the nature of partnerships and the need to honor the partnership by honoring your partner. So there r times when things are not going well, and the easy response is to blame your partner. But if u value the relationship with your partner and want to continue to learn and grow with that person, you find ways to laugh off crazy bidding and the playing of a hand. And u always leave the table to talk about suggestions for a more productive bid or play. Bridge partnerships need to be treated like any relationship that is important to you. You don't want to hold back and be resentful, but you want to find ways to communicate in a way that adds value to the partnership. We all know (because my mom used to tell me this) that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. And not to worry, Margaret and I both believe this so I am just stating a blinding flash of the obvious.

Now on a sillier note, Margaret and I were standing in front of our hotel listening to two young men play the guitar and sing. Margaret and I couldn't quite rememeber the name of the song, but we both liked it and remembered it from some time ago. Finally I said to her, I think the name of the song is: Under the Bridge. Margaret said, "Why do u think that is the name of that song?" To which I replied, "I think that is the name because they keep repeating those lyrics." So after the song ended, Margaret went up and asked them the name of the song. She was somewhat surprised when they said, Under The Bridge. She turned to me and asked, "how did u know that?" I suggested to Margaret that bridge requires us to be logical, and I think all the experience with thinking logically with bridge this past week in Philly, brought me to a place to be able to get the name of that song. Hey, I said it was going to be silly and a little inane.

I think this is my last entry for this trip. So good night, Mrs. Kalabash, wherever u r. And thanks Margaret for being such a great partner and good friend. And, of course, I am thrilled that you make me write entries on our trips!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment