Monday, July 16, 2012

Gold Rush I

Two friends from Grand Rapids joined us today. Lee and Mike drove in yesterday and also played in the Gold Rush pairs; we all agreed that there was no need for me to post any of our results. However, Julie and I were getting our groove back in the afternoon session and are hoping for better things tomorrow.

I do have a bidding question; here's what happened. I held 13 HCPs with 5 hearts and opened 1 heart. Julie bid Jacoby 2NT, I bid 4 hearts, everyone passed. When dummy came down, I saw that Julie had 4 hearts and 11 HCPs; she had counted a doubleton for an extra point to get to her bid. I went down one, although I saw later that which much more careful play I could have made it.

Here's the question: Was Jacoby 2NT the appropriate bid, or would 3 hearts (limit raise) have been better? I just don't know; I would have passed 3 hearts and made my contract, but I should have been able to make 4. (But that's neither here nor there in terms of what is the correct bid.)

After the second session, Julie and I went out with Mike and Lee for a wonderful dinner at an Italian restaurant. Afterwards, we invited them to join us at the Goodwill party. (It had nothing to do with the charity, which is what some of us thought at first.) Our new Indian friend had told us about it, and while we didn't know what time it started we figured 8:00 would work. Mike and Lee declined and admonished us to behave ourselves so we would feel good for Gold Rush II. We said we would try but could make no promises.

Alas, by the time we got there the party was over. On to Plan B, which is me typing on the blog and Julie texting on her phone. Let's see if I can get her to write something . . .

Guess not.


No comments:

Post a Comment