Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Slam

Yesterday I played bridge with Lee.  The last round was interesting because I opened with only 10 HCPs.  I held five very nice spades along with five okay clubs, and using the Rule of 20 I took a breath and bid 1 spade.  My LHO passed and I watched with increasing unease as Lee pondered what to do.  She bid 2 hearts.  Yikes!  I should have known better than to open, I thought.  Now what?  I had to bid clubs which put us at the 3 level with my partner thinking I had more than I did.  Lee responded with 3 diamonds.  Well, at least my next move was clear.  For better or worse--probably worse, I thought--I said "alert" and bid 3NT.

Imagine my astonishment when Lee next bid 6 spades.  She will not be happy to see my measely 10 points, I thought.  Then in a flash I realized that I would be playing the hand--yikes again!

My LHO led the ace of diamonds and dummy came down.  Lee had nice spade support and 21 HCPs; slam was a cinch.  While the auction may have been unorthodox, it got us where we needed to be.  We came in first in C (yippee, first!) and I will again consider opening a two suited, 10 point hand.

On another note:  I thought I was done with posting pictures of Amadeus, since Halloween is over and he is out of costumes.  However, I had a special request from JP for just one more picture.  Here you go, Jim!


2 comments:

  1. Great picture of Amadeus. He no longer looks resigned, just confident!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like he's sitting for a portrait, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete