Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving

The turkey is in the oven and all is under control, so I have a few minutes to give thanks for duplicate bridge.  Following are my reflections, in no particular order of importance.  (I have a few minutes, not all morning.)

I am thankful that we will soon be getting electronic scorers and automatic shufflers.  I'll have to see if Julie will let me sit North sometimes so I can score; I like electronics.

Last week when I was in a slow line in Meijer, the man behind me said that he didn't mind waiting because he didn't have anything else to do anyway until the paper came at 4:00.  He sounded lonely and bored as he continued to chat, and I was thankful that I will never be in that state of mind because I can always play bridge.

I am thankful that we have four games a week in Grand Rapids and games in nearby cities on the other days.  There is always a game that fits my schedule.

Sometimes I am thankful when there are only 2 boards a round.  This gives me less time with grumpy people as well as less time with players who tend to give us low boards.  Usually these two groups don't overlap.

I am thankful for all of the interesting, intelligent, and friendly people I've met at the bridge club.

I am thankful for the Flight A players who give me games, when I know they would rather play with partners at their own level.  (Although I have to say that I am a fun partner.)

I am thankful for all of the snacks that people regularly bring to the games.

I am thankful for the people who read my blog and leave comments, both in writing and in person.  I am also thankful for those who click on ads on this blog.

I am thankful for our well organized, fair directors who calm down disputes and put people in their places when necessary.

I am thankful for the benefactor who paid for everyone's game several weeks ago.  (I hope s/he does it again.)

I am thankful that we often go out for drinks after bridge.

Even though I knew Julie before we started playing duplicate bridge, through bridge we have become extraordinary friends.  I am thankful for that.

It is now time to once again baste the turkey, so I will end my list here.  I invite you to comment on what you are thankful for, bridge-related or otherwise.

Happy Thanksgiving!






1 comment:

  1. Here's a comment from Bill, who sent me an email...


    I tried posting a comment directly to your blog, but it still
    wouldn't let me do it. So here is my comment via e-mail:

    I am thankful for your bridge blog. Even though I have finally
    made Life Master, most of my points were earned during the last
    six or seven years. The wounds of trying to play duplicate bridge
    as a Class C player are still fresh in my mind. I think that you
    do a good service here, and I hope that it may touch and affect
    higher-class players to remember what it is like to be new to
    duplicate bridge, with all the excitement and fear that it brings.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete