Saturday, October 29, 2011

Swiss Team Game #3

One hand last night was particularly aggravating.  Julie opened 1 diamond, and with our opponents passing I bid 2 spades (a strong jump shift).  Julie then bid 3 clubs; I rebid my spades.  Julie went to 3NT, and I bid 4 spades to end the auction.

This is where I have to pause and think about how much to tell you about my hand.  If I report exactly what I was holding (which, by the way, I do remember), you will be amazed that I did not bid differently. I know this because as soon as dummy came down I wanted a do-over.

I think it's best to just say that I held a solid spade suit with lots of points.  I figured that Julie probably didn't have any spades (she didn't), and since I didn't have another suit and didn't want to play in no trump, I didn't know what else to bid.

I made seven spades.

My only consolation is that our opponents at the other table, a B team, were also in 4 spades making seven.  Their auction went differently but they had the same result.  Whew.

And now for the last Halloween picture of the season.  It's the same devil costume, but this time you can see the bow tie more clearly.







No comments:

Post a Comment