Tuesday, November 8, 2011

It Worked!

It worked this time!  Once again I was in a bidding war with our opponents and they went to 5 hearts.  My suit was spades and I knew I couldn't make 5, but we weren't vulnerable and I could count on a little something from my partner.  On top of that, my hand would be worthless defensively.  I put last week out of my mind and bid 5, opponents passed without doubling, and the play started.  We went down 3 for minus 150.  It looked like they could have made game, but I did not (mentally) celebrate.  What if none of the other east-west pairs bid game?  Then it would once again be a low board.

As you can tell from the title, this time my sacrifice was successful.  We got a top board.

In case this entry sounds a little too self-congratulatory, don't worry, all of my bidding was not on target.  I had learned how to bid this next type of hand during my first few weeks of learning to play bridge almost three years ago, but I still managed to mess up.  My RHO opened a weak 3 hearts; I was holding a 5 card spade suit and 20 points.  DOUBLE DOUBLE DOUBLE . . . but I didn't.  Instead I bid 3 spades, everyone passed, and I made 6.  I think it was the weak opening that threw me.  As soon as I saw my cards I was formulating a plan, but that went out the window when my opponent bid.  I have to learn to be more flexible.

No comments:

Post a Comment