Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Skips and Bumps

Yesterday was a break from this week of Swiss team games (Sunday, Wednesday, Friday).  I asked Becky to play, and she was kind enough to give up Monday night at home with her husband to come out to the club.  Becky is an excellent player and I learned a lot from her.  On one issue, though, she called the director over to consult.

"Margaret wants to know why there's a bump if there's already a skip," Becky said.  I knew there was going to be a skip, which was not a big deal because we were sitting north-south.  Whatever east-west pair sat at our table was fine with me.  However, someone had just come by and said we were being bumped for the next round.  That I did not care for, since it meant we had to sit out.

"The skip happens every time there's an even number of tables," the Director said.  "Otherwise, people would play the same boards again.  Right?"  She looked at me expectantly, waiting to see if I understood.

"Oh, that's right.  I get it,” I said.  Really I didn't, but I had a feeling that further explanation wouldn't help.  "But then why is there a bump?"

"The bump is because we have an extra pair."

That was easier to understand.  The Director left, and Becky suggested that since we were being bumped, we kibitz at the next table.  We pulled up a couple of chairs; as I watched I also kept an eye on our table.  I kept waiting to see the "bumpers," but no one appeared.  The east-west pair sat alone at our table and chatted.  After the first board was done, I spoke to Becky.

"Who is supposed to bump us?  Because they still aren't there."

Everyone looked, and there was some conjecture about what was going on.  Finally we realized that the "bumpers" were at another table, and that the east-west pair was waiting for us!  After a few choice words, we quickly got back to our table and into action.

Shortly thereafter the Director returned to further instruct me on skips and bumps.

"You have to wait until you are told that you are being bumped before you move," she said.

"We were told!" Becky and I said in unison.  

"Well, who told you?"  

Obviously not the bumpers.  Oh well.  I learn something every time I play.

Back to Halloween pictures; this time Amadeus is masquerading as a tiger.




2 comments:

  1. So, as I was about to skip past your table, I was asked by the bumpers to please inform you and your partner that they were bumping you the next round. It's always a good idea to be warned so you don't start playing when the next east/west pair shows up at your table (been there, done that). Of course, it's even better if the bumpers know where they are going next! It is kind of ironic that sophisticated bridge players who can figure out who is holding that queen, and which way to play a finesse, and how to squeeze and endplay, are confused about which table to walk over to for the next round.

    ReplyDelete