Thursday, October 27, 2011

Swiss Team Game #2

Yesterday Julie and I played another Swiss Team game.  It no longer feels like a marathon, though, because unlike the 7 rounds we played in Grand Haven this was a regular afternoon with 4 rounds.  I was curious about where the name for this team game came from, and apparently it is derived from a similar movement in chess which originated in Zurich.  Interesting.

Anyway, we won two rounds and lost two, ending up a little below average.  We did okay in 3 of the 4 rounds, one being simply horrible.  However, I did enjoy the conversation at the start of that low-scoring round.

"So you're a B team, right?"  My right hand opponent was North, and he was keeping score.  He was asking this question because of the handicapping system our club was using for this team event.  As a C team, his team would have to "give" us points.

"No, we're a C team."  I was surprised by the question, since the answer seems obvious.

"You're C players?"  I was gratified by the surprise in his voice.  "Who are you playing with?"  He looked around to see our team members.  When he saw who they were, he again said that we must be a B team.

"I guess they must take the average of all of our points,"  I said.  "Julie and I don't have that many.  I'm sure we're listed as a C team."

Julie and I looked at each other and shrugged.

"We'll be B players one day," I continued.  Everyone smiled and agreed.

"You're a B player now in your heart," my RHO said.

"Yes, I am," I agreed.  "But I still want those [handicap] points!"

Tomorrow:  Swiss Team Game #3


Amadeus as a little Halloween devil...




3 comments: