Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Kalamazoo Tournament

After the first game, Dee and I approached the tournament director to see where we stood with one round to go. The printer wasn't working, but he had his computer up and didn't seem too busy at the moment. We told him our pair number and he scrolled down the screen. After squinting at the numbers he turned to us with pity in his eyes. "There is no way you're going to win," he announced with a sad shake of his head. Ever hopeful, I asked what our percentage was and he told us.

"24 percent!" I repeated, aghast and in awe at the same time.

"No, 44 percent!" Dee and the director shouted in unison.

"Well, that's not so bad," I commented to Dee. It certainly wasn't, compared to a full 20 percentage points less. "I guess it is to an A player," she replied.

I find this difference in perspective between A players and C players very interesting. Earlier that day, before play had started, I was joking with our club director about my plan for the tournament. "If there's game, bid it and make it; if there's not game, don't bid it. Likewise with slam."

Joanne added, "And if you bid game but it's not there . . ." She paused while I considered this likely possibility. ". . . make it anyway!"

I kept this directive in mind when the play started, and I am happy to report that I successfully heeded it. My bidding got us into a contract that, once dummy came down, I saw there was no way of making. The beautiful ace and king of hearts might as well have been in Alaska, since I was void of hearts and there were no other entries. I also had worthless clubs in my hand and on the board. Play started and I was doing the best I could when my LHO took a trick and was on lead. He played a heart! I was able to cash in my ace and king, and made the contract. He had never played his ace of clubs.

So even though I need gifts to be able to follow the advice of A players, maybe that still means I'm on the right road.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks Margaret . I love your writing . Are you and English major ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Brad. I'm in education, but when I was in high school I considered becoming a professional writer. Who knows, maybe I stlll will be one!

    ReplyDelete