Monday, September 19, 2011

A Positive Attitude

Since school started and I am back teaching at the community college, I have less time for bridge and less time for writing about bridge. I am still trying to figure out a way to get around this, but so far no luck. There has to be a way to make a living with bridge that does not involve being a Grand Master, because even with my positive attitude--and I am positive beyond what's reasonable--the way things are going, I will be at least 124 years old before that happens. (And I may need a few years beyond that.)

Anyway, I played yesterday afternoon with Julie and we had a good game. I made two unusual bids--one worked for us and one did not. First the one that worked: My RHO opened 2 clubs. I had less than 10 points but I did have 7 spades. Hmm . . . what the heck, I thought, even though nothing will come of it maybe I can mess up their bidding. So I bid 2 spades, making this the first time I overcalled a 2 club opening. (Again, my positive attitude shows--I had jack high.) My LHO doubled (stolen bid) and everyone passed. Everyone passed! I was not thrilled with this development but I was not horrified, either. At least I knew where all the points were, and since they were not with me and my partner this would most likely be a good sacrifice. I went down 300 and we got a top board.

Now for the bid that did NOT work: My RHO opened 1 NT. I had 16 HCP in my hand and was itching to bid. Unfortunately this is the one situation that falls by the wayside when you play DONT, which is what we play. I should have passed but I just couldn't do it. I took a breath and bid 2 NT.

"Alert," Julie promptly said. The opponents looked at her.

That's interesting, I thought. I wonder what she'll say; DONT doesn't cover this bid. She didn't have to say anything right then because no one asked. Everyone passed but then the opener came back to it.

"What does her 2NT bid mean?"

"We play DONT." Julie paused, and along with our opponents I waited to hear the explanation that would follow. "It means . . . well, it might mean . . . actually, I'm not sure what it means."

"Doesn't it mean she has both of the minors?" One of the opponents tried to be helpful.

"No, I don't think so." Good job, Julie, I mentally congratulated. Just then the director came by and saw what was going on.

"Yes, that means she has both of the minors," he said, agreeing with our opponents.

"No," Julie said, "It would only mean the minors if the opener had bid a major." That's right, I thought. Don't let them confuse you.

The discussion went on for another minute or so while I sat there quietly, looking down so as to not give anything away. Once play started everyone figured out that I had an opening no trump hand, and it did not go well for me. I went down and got a low--although not bottom--board. Next time I will just pass.

To return to the title of this entry and my positive attitude, next week Julie and I are playing in the NAP finals in Lansing. I cannot imagine why I think we might win, but maybe the stars will be aligned and our opponents will be tired/hungover and we won't make any mistakes. You never know.


2 comments:

  1. There's another thing about this game: since we play the same hands, there often is someone else out there who makes the same bad decision or comes up with the same "brilliant" play. I also made the preemptive overcall of spades over the 2 club opening bid (heck, I may have even bid 3 spades). I don't remember ever doing that before either. After 2 passes, the opener bid 3 no trump, and made 7. We got a 3-1/2 out of 8 on the board. I tell myself that my bid at least caused enough trouble so that they didn't bid and make slam as 2 other pairs did. So I bet I will make the same overcall if the situation comes up again. Maybe I'll even come out with a top board as you did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I was being quite bold, and here you did the same thing! I guess we were both progressive thinkers on that hand :)

    ReplyDelete