Monday, September 26, 2011

A Conversation

Yesterday Julie and I played in the NAP finals in Lansing. Following is an approximation of the conversation we had afterwards as we sipped on drinks in a sports bar in Grand Rapids.

Julie: It's odd how we played so much better in the afternoon but we got about the same score in the evening, when we made more mistakes.

Me: I think everyone is tired in the evening; we should always play in the evenings at tournaments. We just have to make sure that we're rested.

Julie: Agreed. We did get some gifts.

Me: What about that guy that threw his cards when I went to 3NT and made it?

Julie: What was up with that? Then he acted all friendly.

Me: He was strange. Okay, what should I write about in my blog about this experience?

Julie: What was the theme of the day? What stood out?

Me: I've been thinking about how much I enjoy the process of learning something new. Once I get to a certain point, when I've learned what I wanted to, I quit and go on to something else. It's the journey that most interests me.

Julie: That's very Aquarian. I'm the same way.

Me: But with bridge, I'll never get to that point where I've learned everything I need to know. This may be the activity that I never quit. Even though I want to get better scores and win, I am very aware that where we are right now is a good place to be. One of the A players said that playing at tournaments at the higher levels isn't fun because if you make a mistake, everyone is on it. People expect us to make mistakes.

Julie: But are we getting better?

Me: Yes.

Julie: But how can you tell? There's not a way to measure it. Are we like greyhounds, going in circles chasing a rabbit?

Me: I have a friend who adopted two greyhounds. They couldn't climb stairs and freaked out when they had to walk on different surfaces, like grass.

Julie: Those poor dogs are really abused.

Me: But we're not like greyhounds, we're making progress.

Julie: We would make more progress if we hired someone to teach us and play with us. But that wouldn't be as much fun.

Me: Exactly. That's what I was getting at earlier . . . we're both competitive, but the journey is enjoyable too. But maybe we should see if John and Joanne will play with us again on a Friday.

At about this point others joined us and the conversation turned to other things. Our tournament scores were in the mid-forties, nothing to get excited about but not embarrasing either. Since my time for bridge is limited these days, we're probably going to play in Kalamazoo on Saturday. Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment