Sunday, March 21, 2010

Two Break-Throughs

Thursday afternoon my partner and I were defending against a 3NT contract.  My partner led a low club; the jack and two small clubs were on the board.  I ended up taking the trick with a 10, and I led another club back.  This time the declarer took it with the jack, but when I regained the lead I played another club.  My partner ended up winning several club tricks, and I had a suit to run as well.  Our opponents went down 4 vulnerable, giving us a top board.
The break-through:  For the first time, I was able to visualize my opponent's hand.  When declarer ducked that first club, I knew what to do.

That same afternoon, playing against a different pair, my partner opened 1 heart.  I had 18 points in my hand with 3 hearts (Qxx), 4 spades, 6 clubs, and a void in diamonds.  I pondered what to do.  I knew that 3H was not right, but that's what I ended up bidding because I knew my partner would not pass this (even though it is an invitational bid).  My partner did bid 4H, but what now?  I decided to show my very nice club suit, so I bid 5C.  My partner thought this was Gerber, so she bid 5H to show she had 1 ace.  I thought she was rebidding her heart suit, telling me that she had better than a minimum heart opening.  I wasn't positive we had a slam but I didn't want to miss it if we did, so I bid 6H.  We made 7 and got an excellent board.
The break-through:  Obviously not the crazy bidding, we lucked out there but did discuss it later and thought about what we should have done.  No, the break-through is related to memory.  It is three days later and I still remember my hand and the bidding!  Not that long ago I couldn't remember what I held 5 minutes after the hand was played.  

Progress is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment