Thursday, August 20, 2009

I didn't play any bridge last week, probably the longest time I've gone without playing since May.  This was not a good thing...when my partner and I played at the club yesterday, I felt nervous and out of it.  It was probably an hour before I settled down and felt comfortable.  Our first opponents were the club director and a man who has been a life master for a long time.  This did not help my nerves!  We played three boards against them; we were below average on two of them but one board was average.  We were happy to be "average" against them!  Overall we did better than last time we played, but we still have a long way to go.

I find that I am learning things as I play that I already knew.  The big lesson for me yesterday was that I can bid No Trump as a response even if I have an unbalanced hand, if my opponent has it covered (which I would know because of her bid).  Of course I already knew this intellectually, but a hand yesterday--I did not bid No Trump but should have--drove this home.

We are playing again today, again with the experienced players and not the Newcomers.  I think I won't be so nervous and will start out playing much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment