Friday, April 15, 2016

Day 5: Friday

I smiled as I saw Doug’s jaw drop.  He sat across the table from me and looked at my bid of 6 spades, shaking his head.  I heard his thoughts as clearly as if he had said them aloud:  “What the heck???”  See, Doug had opened 2 spades, debating if he should even bid that given how weak he was.  I had responded 2 NT, asking for a feature.  He had rebid his spades, saying, in effect, “I don’t have anything, partner.”  That’s when I went to slam.

What Doug didn’t know, but found out when I laid down dummy, was that I had 28 high card points.  28 points that included the king and queen of spades.  I have never had a hand like that—how could I NOT go to slam? 

At the other table (remember, we were playing in knockouts), North did not open 2 spades.  They got to the 6 spades another way, and of course it made.  So that board was a wash.

Just a few minutes later my right hand opponent opened 3 diamonds (weak).  I had another monster hand, “only” 19 points this time but with a 6 card heart suit and a singleton ace of diamonds.  I doubled and planned to rebid my hearts.  Doug would know I had a big hand and if at all possible, he would put me in game and maybe slam.

At this point Doug’s pen exploded.  Parts went flying everywhere and had to be retrieved.  There was a brief discussion of “cheap pens” and the banks that handed them out.  North in particular was sympathetic; it seems the same has happened to him.  Three of us turned our attention back to the table while Doug tried to put his pen back together.  Focus, Doug, I silently urged while South passed.  At least look up!  To my surprise and relief, he looked over the bidding and jumped to 4 hearts.  As North thought about his next bid, Doug turned back to his pen.  Put that thing down!  I silently commanded.  North passed and I bid 4 NT, asking for key cards.  Doug’s head whipped around—I had finally gotten his attention. He put the pen down and rebid 5 diamonds, saying he had 0 key cards.

I went to 6 hearts anyway.  Doug looked at me nervously; the opponents looked bemused but not unhappy.  All of that changed a minute later when I laid out dummy.  “I don’t know why I asked about key cards,” I said, “since I have them all.”

6 hearts was made at both tables, but we were the only ones who bid it.  Unfortunately, we lost the round anyway.  We came in tied for 3rd/4th and got about 6 gold points.


PS:  Doug threw away the pen.

No comments:

Post a Comment