Sunday, September 7, 2014

CCT Day 2

The tradition continues...I suddenly remembered that last year we did not do well in this tournament. Nothing has changed, except now we are B players. To be honest, it wouldn't be good even if we were in the C category. But as Dee keeps telling me, "But we're having fun!" Indeed we are.  Beautiful setting, good friends, hanging out in Traverse City, and best of all: Bridge!

I learned a new bid during the last round of the last game of the day. I know there is still a LOT I  need to learn and this bid does not fall into the need-to-know category, but I like it anyway. Here's what happened.

My LHO opened a spade, his partner bid 2 spades, and he rebid 2 NT.

"Alert."

I looked at him inquiringly. I had never seen tbis bid before.

"Short suit help try. I'm required to bid 3 clubs." He proceeded with the bidding.

"Wait," I said. "What does that mean?" Inquiring minds want to know.

He explained that his partner would then bid his singleton (a diamond) and then he would decide if he should go to game. Well, he went to game and they made it.

"Dee!" I exclaimed. "Let's start using this bid!"

"Okay," she said agreeably.

"Without talking about it," our opponent said disbelievingly. That's how we roll.

P.S. I was telling Mike about this miraculous new bid and he hesitatingly told me that its success rate was not very good.  He felt bad about bursting my bubble, but I am not so easily deterred. Hopefully it will come up today!




No comments:

Post a Comment