Friday, January 6, 2012

Learning

"Now that was a good hand," Dennis said as our opponents left the table.

I looked at him suspiciously.  I had just made an egregious bidding error that had "0" written all over it.  Was he being sarcastic, I wondered?  No, he was smiling and actually looked kind of pleased.  I must have looked puzzled, because he went on to explain.

"You learned something new, now you'll know what to do next time," he said.

Dennis had opened 2 clubs.  I didn't even have a king in my hand so I bid 2 diamonds, showing a king or less.  At this point Julie usually bids 2NT and we go from there; I know what to do after a rebid of 2NT.  However, Dennis then bid 2 hearts.  Of course I knew that meant he had at least 5 hearts, but that was my worst suit.  Could I pass that bid, I pondered.  (I hear all of my Flight A friends, B friends, and probably C friends shouting NO NO NO as they read this.)  But my best suit was diamonds, which I would have had to bid at the 3 level, and I just wanted out of this.  So I passed.  Of course he made 6 hearts.  I learned that when partner opens 2 clubs you have to bid within one level of game, because a two club opening is one trick short of game.

My best moment of the afternoon passed by unnoticed by anyone except me.  I was the declarer and thought very carefully about my play against two top opponents.  It went exactly as I had hoped, and I took it as a compliment that no one commented.  I think they just expected me to play it correctly!

We ended up about average and placed; even though low on the list, it was in A.

In closing, I have to again say how much I appreciate A players taking the time to partner with me in an effort to teach me better bridge.  You can all relax for awhile, though--my semester is starting up again so my bridge time will be limited.  But maybe I'll ask someone again around spring break . . .  


No comments:

Post a Comment