Friday, December 30, 2011

Doubles

Yesterday I started an informal survey, asking "What is your New Year's resolution in terms of bridge?"  I don't yet have enough responses for a full report, but one resolution caught my attention.

"I want to get clearer on doubles," Julie said.  "Take-out doubles, redoubles, all that."

"Not just when to double," Dee clarified, "but also what to do when the opponents double."

Doubling may seem quite basic to more advanced readers of this blog, but Julie and I have recently noted that more experienced players double a lot.  When bidding is below game level, how do you know if this is for take-out or penalty?  When I've asked just this question of my Flight A friends, the inevitable response is something like "just watch the bidding, it will be obvious."  Hmm.  My brother recently asked me this question when we partnered for a game, and my more helpful response was "if I double below the game level, it's for take-out; at the game level, it's for penalty."  He thanked me with a sigh of relief.

There is an even more basic issue in terms of doubles.

In my never ending quest to learn from experienced players, I had asked Sue for a game.  We played yesterday, and while I generally stay calm, I was a bit nervous.  Instead of just relaxing, I was trying very hard to do my best and not make stupid mistakes.  This, of course, was a mistake in itself.  About half way through the game, we sat down at a table and I picked up my cards.  I had nothing.  I passed, my LHO opened 1 club, Sue passed, my RHO bid 2 clubs, I passed again, LHO passed.  I mentally checked out; I had nothing, my partner had nothing.  Sue put down a card, my RHO threw down a pass card and started to gather up her bidding cards, signaling that she thought I was going to pass and the bidding was over.  I threw down my pass card and heard a gasp from my partner.  I looked up; Sue's bid had been a double.  Oh boy.

The opponents played 2 clubs doubled, making 3.  I was horrified, and it must have shown on my face because everyone tried to make me feel better.  "Everyone in this room has done that at one time," "I've made worse mistakes," and "Don't worry about it, not a big deal" were some of comments made by my partner and the opponents.  We ended up with a just below average board, so it could have been worse.  (Of course it could have been a lot better, too.)

So while there are many facets to doubles, the most basic thing is to notice when your partner bids one.


No comments:

Post a Comment