Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Deja Vu

Something happened at yesterday's game that strongly reminded me of a hand that I played over a year ago.  Just like the hand back then, one of the opponents was the director and I was the declarer.  We were in a game contract--5 diamonds this time instead of 3NT--but otherwise everything was the same.  When dummy came down I made a plan; everything worked and I made 6.  I was feeling good and looked over at my partner, Mimi, who gave me a happy smile.  I was thinking about how we might have bid slam when the director turned to me just as she had over a year ago.

"You should have been in spades," she said.

Sigh.  Of course she was right, both yesterday and a year ago.  I don't remember what happened last time, but this time I was in love with my seven beautiful diamonds.  I rebid them even though I had three of my partner's spades.  I need to keep in mind what Jerry Helms said at the tournament in Louisville:  It's not what you have and it's not what your partner has; it's what you both have together.  Easier said than done sometimes, at least for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment