Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Irrational Exuberance

Perhaps you've heard the term "irrational exuberance" which was coined by Alan Greenspan a few years back. I confess that the first time I encountered this phrase was last week when some of us went out after bridge. You can see where this is heading.

"Irrational exuberance" came to my brother's mind (what can I say) when he described his bidding of one particular hand. We were partners for the first time and my job was to coach him and to provide helpful tips (which is a story in itself). I opened, our opponents bid and Ed jumped in as well. I calculated how many points he had and continued the auction to win the bid. Imagine my surprise when dummy came down almost devoid of points. He had bid because he was irrationally exuberant about his many hearts. We were in spades.

I did the best I could but went down two for minus 100. I calmly told Ed that he shouldn't have bid, and he acknowledged this with a resigned sigh. Later when I checked the scores I noted that we had stolen the bid and had gotten a top board! Sometimes it pays to be overly enthusiastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment