Saturday, February 20, 2010

Rude Players

I played bridge Wednesday and Thursday afternoons this week.  It's hard to play on Wednesdays because I teach a 7:45 am class and a 5:45 pm class, so when I also play bridge I am exhausted by the end of the day (plus my paperwork doesn't get done).  This Wednesday my class met at the library so I thought I could relax; this turned out to be true for the evening class, but the morning librarian didn't know much about using technology for database searches, so I ended up taking over.

Anyway, at the bridge club on Thursday my partner and I sat north-south.  After a couple of rounds, a pair we like -- and not just because we usually do well playing against them -- sat down.  They were visibly upset, especially the woman.  I got the bid, LHO (the man) played a card, Julie laid down the dummy, and the woman started laying down her cards.  What?!?  She was so rattled by what had happened at the previous table that she had totally lost focus.  She picked up her cards and commented on "that awful woman."  Her partner (husband?) told her take a deep breath and we concurred that "she really is an awful woman."  Julie assured her that she hadn't seen her cards, and in fact was a bit upset with herself because she should have looked.  That brought a laugh and play proceeded.

Bad behavior at the tables is not tolerated by the tougher, more experienced players or by the director.  (I have heard both put people in their places.)  I suspect that the few people who are sometimes rude are fundamentally unhappy and find bridge to be one of their few sources of enjoyment.  If true, you would think they would take care not to alienate people at the club.


No comments:

Post a Comment