Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

The Good:  To get right to the point, on Thursday afternoon we had a 50.25% game and placed 2nd in C.  At first Julie thought we weren't doing well because our opponents were winning game after game, but I noted that they were winning with too many overtricks.  I thought that at least in some of the games this meant that they were in the wrong contracts; plus, we did have some good games.  My goal for the afternoon, which I miraculously met, was to stop and think before I did anything.  That helped a lot.

The Bad and the Ugly:  I know this should be two separate paragraphs, but Friday night was too awful to dissect and write about twice.  It is hard to compete against people who have more knowledge than I do of the cards in my partner's hand, and in some cases better knowledge of my own cards!  Add to that a couple of horrendous mistakes, and the result is not pretty.  

Even though Friday night play is incredibly humbling, I still have fun because I am playing bridge, the people are nice, and I laugh a lot when we go out afterwards.  The thought occurs to me that those who are the most encouraging and kind to newcomers, and the most polite at the tables, are the best players . . . why do you think that is?  (Note that this is an invitation to comment on this blog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment