Tuesday, July 22, 2014

LV: Monday, Day 1

Arriving at the airport, I confidently found my way to "ground transportation." I had read in the bridge bulletin to go to the island where the vans were. I was to tell them I was with the ACBL and without so much as a reservation (but with some cash), I would be whisked away to my hotel.

The first problem was finding the vans. "I think you have to go down to level zero," the shuttle guy told me. So down I went to this ominous sounding place; but where were the vans? Just as i was about to give up I spotted them across the way. I trotted over in the 100 degree heat and then encountered my second problem: there was no one to tell that I was with the ACBL. But not to worry, I spotted a Hilton van dropping someone off. I eagerly approached him.

"Can I get a ride to the hotel? I'm with the bridge tournament."

"Do you have a reservation?" the driver asked as he checked a sheet of paper.

"No, but they said I didn't need one."

"Everybody needs a reservation," he told me with a baffled look. (Problem #3)

"Can I get a ride anyway? I see you're from the Wingate Hilton and that's where I'm staying."

"Sure, I couldn't leave you behind!" With a smile he put my luggage in the back and me in the front. "You're going to Henderson, right? Just want to make sure." (Narrowly missed Problem #4)

Not only was I not going to Henderson, I wasn't staying at the Wingate--my hotel, I belatedly remembered, was the Westgate. After waiting, trying a couple of other vans, and calling the hotel in vain, I abandoned level zero and got on a shuttle. That went much smoother, since it appeared that I was the driver's favorite. "You're my B-A-B," he stated with a jovial laugh. I pressed the issue and asked if I could get dropped off first. "Of course, you're my B-A-B!" While I am a bit curious as to what those letters mean, the main thing is that he did drop me off first.

So began my first day in Vegas. I didn't play any bridge, that starts for me on Tuesday. I did meet some interesting people, though, and had some fun.  You didn't expect to read any of those details, did you?!

No comments:

Post a Comment