Friday, July 29, 2011

When my nephew was little he liked to play board games, and one time we caught him cheating. When he thought no one was looking he kept moving his piece a few spaces forward on the board until he was finally in the lead. My mother called him on it, asking why he was doing that. "Because I want to win" was his logical reply. He didn't see a problem with it.

Apparently some people never outgrow this approach to games. I've read about it in letters to the editor in the Bridge Bulletin and heard about it from friends and now, two days in a row, I've experienced it myself. Do these people consider it part of the game to try and trick an inexperienced player? Do they think that if they don't get caught, it's okay? Do they get the same satisfaction for a win attained in this way?

When I hear about or experience these situations, it doesn't make me think less of the game or less of bridge players in general. It does, however, make me think forever differently about the people involved.

How much of this do you think is going on?



No comments:

Post a Comment