Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Day 1

First the good news: I had a wonderful dinner at the Cherokee Grill with 9 Grand Rapids Bridge players. And there are lots more of them here in Tennessee...is anyone playing at home? Anyway, several of us drank bubbly (me included) and we all ate tasty food. Now Lee and I are resting in our room before the evening session because we are both sick.

Let me repeat that: We are both sick. Lee is taking medication for a horrendous sinus infection and I am suffering with the cold and cough from hell. This is important to keep in mind as you read about our poor performance to date.

Sigh.

It started out to be a promising day.  We left early to look for teammates and were happy to run into two GR players who were also looking for teammates. We joined forces and discovered we'd be playing in a round robin.  I think that's supposed to be a good thing because you have a better chance of making it through. We got knocked out. Don't ask who our teammates were; they begged me to leave their names out of this.

Then Lee and I decided to play in the afternoon gold rush pairs. I'm going to skip over that part of the day and go right to Lee's part of a phone conversation with her daughter Audra that I (accidentally) overheard.

Audra: murmurmurmurmurmur

Lee: Well not good, but that's because we're sick.

Audra: murmurmurmurmur

Lee: We planned this a long time ago, we weren't going to cancel.

Audra: murmurmurmur

Lee, indignantly: What do you mean, I'm too old to be doing stuff like this?

At this point it appeared that Audra wisely shifted the conversation to her budding interest in yoga.

But all is not lost, dear readers,  for within the hour we will be at it once again, playing in the gold rush evening session. Even if we don't do well (although I think we will), we will be looking forward to the pizza party at the condo across the street.

I don't think we're going to make it to the bridge session tomorrow morning.

2 comments: