Thursday, August 14, 2014

A Letter From Julie: Fun in the Sun????

Hi all u bridge addicts,

Well it's another regional tournament in Petoskey, MI.  For those of u unable to get to this tournament in beautiful northern Michigan, no need to be jealous.  Yesterday it was 59 degrees, and we were all thinking the "s" word.  Yes, SNOW.

We had the first excitement of the tournament yesterday.  We were playing in Stratified Choice Pairs.  Cristi and Barb were in one section; Dee and I were right next door, but in another section.

Midway through the game, a mopsy top looking man and an elderly woman (OMG, that could be so many of us) sat down at our table.  He was a bit of a mumbler.  In fact Dee asked him what he said.  Neither one of us could understand his answer.  The first contract was 2nt, played by me.  I went down 1.  Durn.  The second contract put our opponents in 3nt.  I had a feeling I could set it.  And I did.  As they were leaving our table, Dee noticed the name on the convention card, Cappelletti.  No way.  Yup.  I had just set Mike C.  Well to be honest, his partner played the hand.  But it's my story, and I am sticking to setting the Cappelletti team.

Equally as exciting, Cristi and Barb find themselves playing against Jeff Meckstroth and his wife.  Really, Jeff Meckstroth.  The Meckstroth's end up in a 4 spades contract (doubled by Cristi) (redoubled by Jeff).  And what did "our girl" do, she set it!!!!!  Jeff, nonplussed by the results, bolted out of his chair, leaving Mrs. Meckstroth to take care of herself.  BTW, she played the contract.  I mean does it get any better than this for humble B/C players from the Western Michigan Bridge Club.

BYE for now.  Julianne Boggiano

1 comment:

  1. Lots of "Star Power" up in Petoskey.
    It is fun to play against the names and faces we see in the monthly bulletin. Bob pointed them all out to me. At the end of it all, "most" were very cordial and surprisingly human.

    ReplyDelete