Saturday, May 12, 2012

Bids

This week I couldn't get to that sweet place where everything made sense and the right move was easy to find.  My play was okay (I think), but if I wasn't sure what to bid I most likely went in the wrong direction.  The positive side is that I learned a few things.

In one game, my RHO opened 1 heart.  I had 16 points with Kxx.  Usually I would overcall 1NT, but this time I thought harder about what to do.  I had a vague recollection that you should have a stronger hand and 2 stoppers to overcall 1NT.  Hmmm, I thought.  What other bid was there?  Well, if it wasn't a balanced hand I would double with 16 points and go from there.  So I doubled.

My LHO passed and of course my partner bid my weakest suit, clubs.  I had Ax in clubs, but I was ready.  I bid 2NT.  This way, I reasoned, my partner would know that I had a no trump opening hand.  My partner thought for a moment and then bid 3NT.

Dummy came down with 7 points.  It turns out that my bid meant that I had about 18-19 points.   Of course I did not make my contract; everyone at the table said that I should have overcalled 1NT.  That's what happens when you think too much and, sadly, I was thinking a lot this week.

I am hopeful that this bidding slump has resolved itself, since next week will be a marathon of playing.  I have partners for all of the club games (Monday, Wednesday, Thursday) and will be playing in the Kalamazoo tournament on Friday and Sunday.

Summer vacation is a wonderful thing.




No comments:

Post a Comment