Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Yet another difference...

Today I discovered yet another difference between Flight A and Flight C players. A few entries back I wrote about how two days in a row A players tried to take advantage of my inexperience playing duplicate bridge. A players thought this referred to outright cheating while C players thought that it referred to less sinister (but still undesirable) trickery.

Many years ago there was a scandal that involved cheating. I don't know the details other than it was really bad...people were doing things like holding cards with their fingers in a position that showed, for example, how many hearts they held. Flight A players who lived through that were understandably concerned that cheating had once again reared its ugly head.

On the other hand, new players have not witnessed this type of cheating at the club. When they read my entry, they commiserated and shared stories of when, for example, they were playing defense and dummy told declarer what to play ("You didn't mean to ruff that, did you partner?" "No I didn't, play a diamond instead."). Our lack of experience can keep us from calling the director but not from complaining . . . and then finding out later that we were "cheated."

The first time the director was called to the table because of me I was mortified. My face turned red and I kept apologizing, saying that I hadn't misplayed on purpose. I wouldn't have dreamed of calling the director myself, even if I could have recognized an opponent's misstep! How things have changed. Today I jokingly told Joanne (who was playing, not directing) that I needed her advice on how to bid my very confusing hand. She offered to help, but since she was our opponent I thought better of it. I'm not scared of the director anymore (at least not most of the time).

So here's my question: Do you consider it "cheating" when an experienced player takes advantage of a beginner's lack of knowledge of the rules of duplicate bridge? Or do you think this is just part of the game?









3 comments:

  1. I think issues arising from bidding and playing ajre a matter of ethics. "We" all know when we are compromising our ethics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really wasn't all that long ago that I first starting playing at our club. There was so much to learn about playing duplicate bridge! I started with lots of reading and asking questions, mostly about bidding and play of the hand. Many experienced players were eager to help. However, there is an aspect of the game that I didn't even realize I should be asking and learning about---I'll call them Table Rules. Things like not moving your hand up and down, back and forth, as you're trying to decide what card to pull out of the bidding box.
    How you should try to play your cards in tempo. How it's polite to avoid writing on your personal score sheet when everyone is waiting for you to make the opening lead. Some A players were kind enough to mention these less-than-proper behaviors as a warning to me, after the round was complete. Sometimes the director was called because of what I inadvertently did, which was certainly fine, although somewhat embarrassing. Anyway, I guess my point is that I appreciated being enlightened by some experienced players who could have taken advantage of my rookie table actions, but chose to help me improve my game instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for bringing that up, I also appreciate the many experienced players who are patient and helpful.

    ReplyDelete