Thursday, June 9, 2011

Without a Partner

It was with trepidation that I set off for the bridge club yesterday. My regular partner plays with someone else on Wednesdays and so I was on my own. [Side note: Julie objects to the term "regular" partner because it sounds too pedestrian, although she admits it is better than "normal." Oddly enough, she objects even more strongly to "irregular" and "abnormal."] I didn't know who the standby was, but even if I did it wouldn't have made much difference; partnerless players get paired up with each other before the standby is called into action. I didn't arrange for a partner ahead of time and so I didn't know what--or whom--to expect.

My concern about a potential partner had little to do with skill level. Rather, I was uneasy about playing with someone who would berate me for my mistakes or be so intense that I would become nervous. There was also the possibility that someone would simply irritate me. While 99% of the players at our club would do none of these things, you never can tell what might happen.

Julie sympathized and helpfully suggested that when I arrived at the club I should first stand back and get the lay of the land. I tried this tactic but I couldn't even spot the sign-in table, much less identify the standby or other players in search of partners. I finally had to ask where to sign in (the director was not at the usual spot), and when I approached the table I was immediately paired up with Sharron.

What great luck! Sharron had told me in the past that she has mastered the art of having fun at playing bridge, no matter if she has a good game or not. I knew that she would not be upset at my mistakes, nor would she be stressed and irritating. We did in fact have a fun, relaxed game--and as a bonus, we ended up with a good score and got masterpoints.

There were many interesting hands for east-west, both in terms of bidding and playing, but it is not something complex that stood out for me. Rather, it was when we played defense against a pair of A players in a 3NT contract. I was on lead with not much in my hand other than the ace of hearts and several little hearts. I was sorely tempted to do something with this suit: Should I play my ace, because I'll never get into my hand again? Should I lead a small heart to set up the suit, because I did have a lot of them? I considered my opponents and knew they would make mincemeat out of me with either of those leads. I led a spade. They made their contract but told me that my lead was a good one and that we would get a good board, which we did, because I didn't help them set up anything.

I learn a lot when A players point out my mistakes, but it is also incredibly helpful when they acknowledge something I've done right. Since our opponents made their contract, I wouldn't have known I'd made the right lead unless someone with a better understanding of the game had explained it to me. I have several great teachers at the club!






No comments:

Post a Comment